Old photographs

edited December 2010 in Local discussion
Hello, it is my next door neighbours 90th birthday this weekend and I'm trying to put together a book for him. He has lived here (Albert Road) since the war and I am looking for any pictures of the area from then or any historical photos. I've got a few more days to get stuff together and I am happy to come and photograph stuff in situ or whatever is easiest. Many thanks
Zoe

Comments

• edited 10:09AM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    If you do a search for 'old photos' onm this site you will come across a few. It would be very kind if you could post some links to anything new that you find here!
    How about sitting down with a tape recorder and getting him to give you an oral history of the area?
    Krappster, I know an old geezer who was around during the 2nd world war who remembers where all the bombing was and then used to own motorcycles. Interview him?
    Yes, the old dairy has loads. They are really interesting to look at.
    I had cabby recently who was rather old (late 60's?) and told me that Stroud Green used to be super-rough in the 1970's and the locals used ot blame the Nigerian men who lived at a drug refuge in the area for an increase in burglaries and muggings at the time.
    He also said the IRA used to use the Queens Hotel as their meeting joint, and arranged the bombing of the YMCA building opposite from there. It was an 'edgy' time to be living where we do 40 years ago!
    I bet this chap of yours has some tales.
    Spill the beans!